- Hold the Autohaler® upright and pull down the lip at the back to remove the cover of the mouthpiece.
- Shake the Autohaler®. Push the lever at the top of the Autohaler® up and leave it up. Ensure your hand does not cover the air vent at the bottom of the Autohaler®.
- Breathe out away from the Autohaler®.
- Wrap the mouthpiece with your lips and breathe in steadily and slowly as much you can until your lungs are full or as much as you comfortably can. Continue breathing in even after the Autohaler® clicks as that is the dose being released.
- Remove the Autohaler® and hold your breath for 5 to 10 seconds or as long as you comfortably can and then breathe out slowly.
- Put the device off by pushing the lever on top of the Autohaler®.
- Put the cover of the mouthpiece back on.
- If you have to take a second dose, wait 30 seconds and repeat steps above.
Nwasom is a pharmacy graduate and a pharmacist currently practising in the United Kingdom. I have great experience communicating with patients and their family as gained through working as a pharmacist in both the hospital and community pharmacy sector. I love writing so it was a natural thing to try and pass medical and health information on through writing.