- Shake the inhaler very well and remove the cap
- Breathe out, away from your inhaler
- Wrap and seal the mouthpiece with your lips and breathe in steadily and slowly.
- Press the top of the canister down completely to release a dose as soon as you start breathing in. Continue to breathe in slowly but steadily and as deeply as much you can until your lungs are full or as much as you comfortably can.
- Remove the MDI inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for 5 to 10 seconds or as long as you comfortably can and then breathe out slowly.
- Put the cover of the mouthpiece back on.
- If you have to take a second dose, wait 30 seconds and repeat steps above.
About the author
Nwasom is a pharmacy graduate and a pharmacist currently practising in the United Kingdom. I have great experience communicating with patients and their family as gained through working as a pharmacist in both the hospital and community pharmacy sector. I love writing so it was a natural thing to try and pass medical and health information on through writing.